Category: Nail Polish/Beauty
Cost: $19.99 USD per month + free shipping
Availability: USA and Canada
Once you’ve signed up to be a Maven, each month a classy little black box — filled with trendy nail colours and beauty products — will be delivered straight to your front door.
- Free shipping (on all Maven boxes + any other orders)
- 20% discount on all products
- Earn Julep Jules redeemable towards free products and/or boxes
- Send your box to a friend or skip the month (and your bill!) as often as you’d like
The company is based out of Seattle, Washington which is great for cross-border shopping. (If I lived in the Vancouver, BC area a trip to a Julep Parlor would be on my bucket list!) However, the Maven subscription boxes — like anyone or anything else crossing the border — need to be cleared by CBSA first. Have you heard about patience being a virtue? You have? Awesome! Make that your mantra, as delivery via Canada Post will take roughly two weeks.
DD CRÈME | Reg. price: $36.00, Maven price: $28.80
Julep DD Crème is a dynamic do-all makeup that goes beyond BB crème to moisturize, prime, perfect, and protect—both instantly and over time.
Features & Benefits:
- SPF 25 provides daily defense from the sun
- Two patented anti-aging ingredients decrease the appearance of pores and fine lines
- Hibiscus and olive extracts keep skin hydrated
- Lightweight, buildable coverage with an ultra-smoothing finish
- Comes in four shades—light, medium, medium-dark, and dark
NAIL POLISH | Reg. price: $14.00, Maven price: $11.20
- As always, the polishes are fast drying and apply smoothly. One coat is often enough. For budget reasons, I had decided to skip June. But then I saw the colours chosen for the Boho Glam box. The dandelion yellow was gorgeous, and mint green is so trendy at the moment — I had to have them!
- The DD crème is really quite nice. I tried it out multiple times throughout the month, and I must admit that it lived up to its claim. The light shade was a perfect match for my skin tone. The sun protection was adequate for my needs and my dry skin stayed hydrated. TIP: Apply with a foundation brush, not your fingers. The packaging, however, is a HUGE disappointment — the tube is mostly air! Like many other Mavens, I felt that Julep was not upholding one of their main core values (Integrity), so I fired off an email voicing my concern. Here is the response:
“While the packaging of our products was too large we assure you that the amount of product in each tube matched the advertised amount. As a thank you for your understanding as we continue to develop the packaging of this new product, we would like to place 1,000 Julep Jules into your account (half the amount needed to earn a free Maven box). During the Maven selection window between the 20th and 24th, you will be able to apply these Jules to your chosen box and/or add-ons.”
- OMG, talk about fabulous customer service. In my past life as a call centre agent, I learned a thing or two about fostering brand loyalty. Julep — you’re doing it right!
- If all the items had been purchased separately at the Maven price, the actual box cost would be $51.20 USD. So the $19.99 box price is a great beauty bargain.
Not a Julep Maven yet? If you don’t mind being a guinea pig for an up-and-coming brand’s new products, please consider signing up through my referral link. Try entering coupon code freebox or freemaven at check-out and your first box should be FREE!
– Alicia ♥
- Julep Maven: Boho Glam Starter Box Review (colourmebeauty.wordpress.com)